<VV> 4 speed trans rebuild

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:00:19 EDT

Hi Rich,
The '66 box is pretty easy to do.  The needle bearings are really no big
deal, just "glue" them in place with grease, very simple.  The hard parts are the
snap-rings. Don't try it with the pointy-end or nail-end snap-ring pliers.
It's almost impossible with them.  Get yourself a good pair with out-angled,
square ends  (looks like:  \ / when viewed from the side, jaws up) and even the
snap rings will be a, er, snap!  Pay careful attention to the sychro sliders,
keys, and blocking rings.
Good luck, and be sure to ask questions.
Craig Nicol

<snip>
Is the 4-spd, (1966 ver.), a difficult transmission to rebuild?
  I would like to attempt it but I dont want to end up with a "box job"
going to a shop.  I have a press for the bearings, but am worried about
the needle bearings.  Is it difficult to reassemble.
Thanks
Rich Taylor
<unsnip>