<VV> Time to Fix the Vapor Lock

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:43:19 -0700

At 1756 04/21/2004 -0700, Shaun wrote:
>They do. Christy Millers turbo '63 ragtop "Zelda" did shortly after a gas
>stop in 110deg heat north of Vegas on the way home from the Flagstaff
>convention. I was just going to wait for it to cool but Christy came up with
>a "right now" solution. She poked a hole in the bottom of a plastic pop
>bottle, wraps a towel around the gas filler neck, I crack the gas line
>fitting at the carb, she puts the bottle against the filler and seals it
>with the towel and blows into the bottle. I yell when gas spurts out the
>fitting, tighten, crank, and VROOM, it's off we go again.
>yea, Vairily ... Shaun
>
><Smit>
>
>> As I've said before, I've driven my Corvairs hard in temperatures up to at
>> least 115 F and have never seen a hint of vapor lock.  I don't believe
>that
>> they do, it's always something else as per the items noted in this list.
>> RonH
><unSmit>

They do indeed.   I learned not to park a Vair over a spot of very hot asphalt
in July if it's gonna be there for more than a minute or so...  stopped at the
bank, parked on fresh new pavement all jet-black and soaking up the July
sunshine, so hot outside it made your shoes feel sticky on the sidewalks.
Back
in the car with cash in hand  I had to go through the same routine of cracking
a fuel line fitting and blowing through the pump end via a length of hose
scrounged from the trunk, then suck  a mouthful of gas in the process of
clearing the embolisms from the fuel line under the car.   Manually applying
CPR onto the fuel pump after loosening the mount hardware got me nowhere (and
yes it was a new *correct* pump from Lon) and waiting it out was getting
pretty
boring in the July heat... all this while the daughter was watching with
jaundiced eye...  anyway after blowing through the line until daughter heard
bubbling in the tank, then sucking a mouthful of relatively cool unleaded back
through the lines and we were back in business again.

I like that blow-through-the-tank-via-bottle method better...

tony..