<VV> 63 rocker panel

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:44:43 -0700

Hi, my 63 has a factory "round" hole directly behind the front wheel well on
both sides to drain the front fresh air cowl just in front of the
windshield.  The problem with the earlys along the rocker panel in this area
is that there is a pinch weld between this hole and the rest of the rocker
toward the rear.  This pinch weld creates a 1/2" wall that must be passed to
drain water out of the rocker if the car is parked with the nose slightly
downhill.  Water runs down the rear quarter window and gets into the rocker
(not as much of a problem on the 4 doors) which then runs forward.  Over
time, mud and leaves build up behind this obstruction and what happens then
is that the water has a tendency to follow the path of least resistance
which is through the heater vents up front and onto the front floor.  This
is one reason the earlys develop the "Flintstone Syndrome".  The mud and
muck also helps to hold in the moisture which rots out the rocker.

I guess this is more info than you asked for but if there is no drain hole
up front at all, then the problem is exacerbated.  Seems like someone
patched the rocker and covered up the drain hole.  The factory put no rubber
plug in these.  What I heard others do and what I did was to bore an extra
hole on the other side of the pinch weld.  I made this hole the same size as
the factory one.  The rocker trim covers them up so you don't see them.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder, 4spd Saginaw, 3.55 (engine in the works)