<VV> 140-PG MPG?

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:06:22 EDT

Bill,
    I would certainly expect 20 mpg and even higher cruising on major
highways.  I used to get 18 mpg driving my 180 to work every day until I replaced the
pressure retard with a vacuum advance.  The mileage immediately went up to 22
mpg for the same trip which was about 40 miles each way in lots of traffic as
well as on major highways.
    But you can't really know what you are getting without keeping a log of
odometer reading and gallons added at every refueling.  It takes at least a few
hundred miles to get any reasonable accuracy.  I used to do an Excel plot
covering over 8000 miles on some of my cars.  Incidentally, that's an excellent
way to find out when you need a tune-up - when the mileage starts to drop off
and before the car develops running problems.
    I agree that personal driving style has a lot to do with gas mileage.
Show me the guy that gets over 80,000 miles on a set of brake linings and I'll
show you a driving style that gets the highest possible gas mileage.  Yes,
that's the secret to getting good mpg - MINIMIZING use of BRAKES.  Now that I'm no
longer rushing to get to work on time, I can get better mileage.  It still
amazes me that when I'm cruising a little over the speed limit in the slow lane
I see guys PASSING ME in the exit ramp on my right when both of us know they
will have to jam on their brakes for the stop sign at the end of their ramp!
Every time you use your brakes you are throwing away momentum that you spent
good gas $ on developing by changing it into heat.  So to get the best mileage,
practice what friend Bob Marlow calls "anticipatory driving".
    Frank "cheapskate" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/22/04 10:42:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,