<VV> Re: 69 In Tow

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:52:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2004 12:03:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hyarnell1@earthlink.net writes:
Before we all go off on a tangent, think about what's happening in a PG when
it's being towed. There is no energy (power) transferred; there are only
friction forces acting on the output shaft, and that shaft is lubed by the
rear pump. Everything else is at a standstill. Heat generated is very small.
This is assuming the shifter is in Neutral, or all bets are off.

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD
hyarnell1@earthlink.net

I had a Yenko StInger autocross car with a  PG. I had added a FC Front plate
fed Oil Cooler for the PG. I towed it many times - Often at more than 40 MPH
(!) and it was fine. Okay, once, while flat-towing I had a fitting crack under
the load of partially supporting the front of the powertrain (Where did those
two bolts go?) and it oiled down the rear of the car a bit. (A White/Blue and
Dexron red Stinger!)  But there was no damage to the PG or anything else. I
didn't get to run that day though! -Seth