<VV> Re: Adventures in Towing

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:13:46 -0400

 Smitty says:  I believe it was here on VV that someone reported towing a
V W Beetle some years ago with a 1 ton truck.  They commented that it was
a real struggle to get up to 55 but they finally made it and then
something seemed to break free.  At the end of the trip they found that
the Beetle tranny had been left in low gear.  It would have been neat to
have a "tell tale tach" on that engine.
        Years ago a friend and I picked up a Late coupe that a man had
replaced the tranny in and given up on.  The cable was improperly
indexed.  When we started the engine was forced to turn over but we
didn't have far to go so we proceeded slowly for about 3 miles.  Never
did find out if it was in low or reverse.  After indexing the cable it
ran as advertised for a good many years.