<VV> Re: Adventures in Towing

Bob Gilbert bgilbert@redshift.bc.ca
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:10:10 -0600

Hi,

Yup that was me. We reasoned that the dog, a St Bernard left in the car
being towed leaned against the shifter causing it to go into 1st gear. The
engine bay looked like a grenade had gone off in it!

I should have sat down and done the math to determine what RPMs the engine
would have been going at 60 mph or so when it basically exploded. If anybody
wants to do it, it was a 63 VW notchback - the one with the pancake engine.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of vairologist@juno.com
Sent: April 26, 2004 11:14 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re: Adventures in Towing

 Smitty says:  I believe it was here on VV that someone reported towing a
V W Beetle some years ago with a 1 ton truck.  They commented that it was
a real struggle to get up to 55 but they finally made it and then
something seemed to break free.  At the end of the trip they found that
the Beetle tranny had been left in low gear.  It would have been neat to
have a "tell tale tach" on that engine.
        Years ago a friend and I picked up a Late coupe that a man had
replaced the tranny in and given up on.  The cable was improperly
indexed.  When we started the engine was forced to turn over but we
didn't have far to go so we proceeded slowly for about 3 miles.  Never
did find out if it was in low or reverse.  After indexing the cable it
ran as advertised for a good many years.