<VV> One Wire alternator -- Arjay

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:15:40 EDT

Arjay, how are you planning on detecting a tossed fan-belt with a one-wire
alternator?  You know, your "idiot light" won't be functional, right?

Hooking up a "three-wire" alternator actually only requires connection of the
existing idiot light wire to the alternator terminal and a short jumper
between two terminals on the alternator itself.

Probability of belt failure: moderate to high
Cost of undetected belt failure: A number with three zeroes to the left of
the decimal point.
Time to connect one additional existing wire: 5 to 10 minutes.

I know what I would do...
Craig (murphy seems to find me) Nicol

<snip>
Hi folks:
Yet another alternator question if you please
First though, I'd like to thank all who responded to
my query about where to find info on the gen. to
alternator conversion (tech guide and Bob Helt's
'Classic Corvair.
In Bob's Book (P. 278) he states you should use a
three-wire alternator and not one of the one-wire
jobbies and then there's the caveat to see a discusson
of one VS 3 wire alterntors. I can't find that
discussion.
Notwithstanding, My alternator guy is equipping me
with a one wire alternator, swapping the Corvair fan
and pulley front end, sandblasting both the bracket
and the mounting casting all for $45.
<unsnip>