<VV> Wierd-ball engine codes and other odd sightings...

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:16:26 EDT

I just picked up an engine this weekend; it had a 140 head on it but it was
an RE engine code.  What was that, I wondered?  Lo and behold, it is a 65-7
95hp with A/C.  How many of those did they make? Not many, I'm sure. I can hardly
wait to see what kind of cam is in it.
Ya never know.

And speaking of "Ya never know"...   This weekend at the NW econorun, an
elderly (84 year old) fellow rode up between my car and Kent's on a Segway
scooter. (!) (First one I have seen)  He was a very curious local, examining every
detail of each car in the show.  OK, I'm thinking, this guy is a bit of an
enigma.  Then he started asking some fairly good quesitons like: "Are you running
the 3.27s or the 3.55s?"  Hmm...  The dialog drifted to the usual "I have had
several Corvairs, starting with a new plain-jane '61 that I later converted to
a Monza".  OooKay...  "I got my last Corvair in '65  AND I STILL HAVE IT." (!)
 Then he continued: "It's a white/white (I've never seen that combo) 110 A/C,
AT, Tele, AM/FM Multiplex, Wire Spinner Cover, Deck rack, door guard, Monza
4dr. and ITS PARKED AT MY HOUSE, A MILE FROM HERE." (!).

Kent and I just had to go and take a look.  It was just as advertised, still
in original paint and vinyl.  A little faded, but with a little TLC, it would
look just fine. Parked nearby was his Delorian. (!) We took a bunch of
pictures. His son-in-law is really enthused about the 'Vair and will take the reins
soon.

We noticed the CORSA sticker in the rear window.  Was he a member?  "Sure,
MEMBER NUMBER 13." (!)  He has every Communique from day One.  He held his hand
at about chest-level and said "the stack is about this high". (!)

Both stories show.. Ya can't tell a book from it's cover!
Craig Nicol