<VV> A perfect 30 days

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:02:05 -0400

       While everyone is reflecting on things to be, I reflected on the past
30 days and how Corvair perfect they have been. Scott Trunkhill and
I took WTBRT ole #112 to the SECC event in Mt. Dora Florida where
we enjoyed 2 full days ( March 27,28) of Corvair autocrossing with only
a popped fan belt to slow us down.
       Next week ( March 29, April 4) Roy Hickman discussed the need of a
1960 engine for his restoration project. I had a complete, with shrouds, carbs,
air cleaner etc. 1960 core engine. We negotiated a fair price and Roy said
he would
be coming to Springfest and arrange to pick up the engine.
       I also did an e-mail walk-through with jpeg photos on how to vent carbs
to a fellow Corvair enthusiast who was very appreciative and very successful
with his vent conversion.
         April 10th was spent helping two Corvair Atlanta members with
their Corvair
projects. Moose Cobb is reassembling "Artie Blue" and Jim Mclott is
reinstalling the
drivetrain on "Christine" the she devil. Neither project was completed that
Saturday
but they are both quite a bit further along the completion route.
         Easter and tax deadlines slowed things down a bit but the next
weekend ( 17,18 )
brought two more Corvairs into my life. Once again Scott helped me and we
trailered
two Corvairs in one day to new homes. I purchased a 1966 Monza 110 PG
convertible
in Thomaston Georgia and we trailered it to Ted's shop in Tucker, Georgia.
It was unloaded
and we immediately left to load a 1964 110 PG sedan in Decatur Georgia and
return it
to Ted's as well. The convertible I will keep. The 64 is rough, a one owner
car (37,000)
and is marginally restoreable but may become a donor drivetrain for Ted's
EM custom
Panel Delivery project.
       Now it was time to detail Darth Vair for Springfest and help Ted get
his 65 110 PG Monza
coupe roadworthy for Springfest. Both chores were accomplished during the
week.You have
already seen my 20th Springfest report posted 4-24-04 and I can add to
that. Sunday 4-25-04
Roy Hickman came by Ted's shop and we partially disassembled the 1960
Corvair engine,
placed it in the back of his 2002 VW bug and sent him to Florida with a 10
cylinder bug.
        April 28 I spent the afternoon adjusting valves ( hot method ) and
converting my 66 vert
to dual exhausts. Chris Carter (1966 Monza coupe)  cruised in after work.
About an hour later
Ted was closing the shop and I looked out in his parking lot and was
awestruck. There were
7 vehicles and for the first time in years, they were all Corvairs. 1964
Corvan parts storage,
1964 Sedan, 1964 Greenbrier, 2 1965 Coupes, a 1966 coupe and a 1966
convertible. This was
a very satisfying image to cap 30 days of enjoying my Corvair hobby.

Chuck Armer

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman