<VV> Re: PG Question

JWCorvair@aol.com JWCorvair@aol.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:18:10 -0400

Hi,

I'm getting into this thread a bit late, but wanted to relate how I resolved a similar condition - PG slamming into gear when I shifted. On my 62, the only way I could get the car to idle was to have the rpm when in neutral set very high, too high. Then, of course, when shifting into gear it would shift very hard. Finally, I decided to make all the adjustments in the service manual. This meant starting at the accelerator pedal and making all the adjustments back to the carbs. This included setting the accelerator pedal to the specified hight, making sure the bell crank at the PG was in the correct position, and then adjusting the main throttle rod so the down shifts would occur when I floored the pedal. The adjustments are tedious, but certainly not difficult and don't take all that long. The result was a smoothly idling car and I have my neutral idle set well below 1000 rpm (can't remember where exactly, about 800). Car runs great and shifts smoothly. Certainly worth a try to make all adjustments.

Regards Joe White
(Been too rainy to work on my interior)
Boulder, CO
CORSA, RMC