<VV> oil in distributor?

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:20:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/04 11:49:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kovacsmk@Access4Less.net writes:
This is a new one for me. I started to get an oil leak that put oil on
the sheet metal under the distributor and due to the air flow while
running, a little hard to tell exactly where it came from. I assumed the
crank pulley seal was bad (102,000 miles). I replaced the seal (it was
cracked, the rubber very hard). This did not solve the problem. I then
assumed the seal under the distributor cup had failed. Upon removal of
the distributor, oil drained out of the cup when tilted. There was some
oil splatter inside the distributor cap

I am sorry - I don't know what a "distributor cup" is. Are you referring to
the body of the distributor? Did the body fill with oil until reached the
weights, etc. Dale's normal kit put a pair of bushings in the stock housing. There
was no seal involved. Of course more wear would add more of a path for oil to
travel up the shaft. Most oil in the distributor is a result of crankcase
pressure. We drilled a hole in the bottom of Doug Hargroves race motor to let the
oil drain out. I actually prefer one of Dale's other products. He will remove
the stock bushing and replace it with a sealed ball bearing in the stock,
upper, location. I never believed in the double bushing method, because you really
have a second bushing in the aluminum housing above the oil pump. Putting two
in the distributor always seemed like you were now asking three bushings to
align. A tough task. - Seth Emerson