<VV> oil in distributor (20 year storage story)

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:47:17 -0700

Mine has had oil in the distributor for years (Spyder).  I choose to ignore
it as it does not seem to be a problem.  That is my cure :-)

At 11:45 AM 4/29/04, kovacsmk wrote:
>  This is a new one for me. I started to get an oil leak that put oil on
>the sheet metal under the distributor and due to the air flow while
>running, a little hard to tell exactly where it came from. I assumed the
>crank pulley seal was bad (102,000 miles). I replaced the seal (it was
>cracked, the rubber very hard). This did not solve the problem. I then
>assumed the seal under the distributor cup had failed. Upon removal of
>the distributor, oil drained out of the cup when tilted. There was some
>oil splatter inside the distributor cap
>

>  The distributor was rebuilt by DALE a long time ago (but not too many
>miles). I have never found any quantity of oil inside the cup of any
>other distributor. Who has a similar experience and a cure? I have an
>NOS cup I could swap when I get the ambition.
>

>Getting all the information is most of the solution.
>

>MIKE KOVACS

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)
(720) 339-4765          Cell

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html