<VV> rocker arms

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:18:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/2004 2:24:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tomspost@sympatico.ca writes:

Uh oh. I  didn't know that, and I ordered a set out of Clarks book pn c766x. I
knew  that Corvair is different from SBC, but I didn't know about a  different
ratio for the 140.

Where can I find more info on  this?

Thanks.

Tom  Wright
St.Catharines

There is no difference in the factory rocker arms for 140HP Corvairs,
despite Smitty's note. They made a running change in the Chevy supplied ones  after
the Corvair went out of production. - so there is more than one kind  around.
But even those fit all years and models. There is a model  of aftermarket,
fixed-trunnion, roller rocker (Made for SC Performance -  the ones Clarks sells)
which is unique for the 140 (versus all others)  because of valve angles which
are unique to the 140 head. SC and Clarks sell  both models, of course. The
stock ball-stud rocker is self-aligning, and  will align to fit all three
non-intersecting lines, such as the valve tip,  the ball stud and the pushrod tip.
(One could say it aligns to the pushrod guide  plate as well.) One thing to
never throw away on old engines are the  rockers and balls. A low-lift cammed,
light valve-springed, well-lubricated 80  HP motor is just breaking in the
rocker arms for the racers to re-use.  The  ones you bought will fit any Corvair
engine. -Seth  Emerson