<VV> 68 CORVAIR MONZA RUMBLE

MARK PURTEE mkpurt@yahoo.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

to all concerned:

I currently began working on my 68 corvair monza coupe - 95 hp and automatic.  It ran fine until last night.  At low speeds I heard a rubbing sound in the left rear wheel- at about 50 mph the noise becomes a rumble. this noise is present in or out of gear and seems to get better when I apply the brakes.  Tonight I jacked the left rear wheel up and put the transmission in neutral.  I don't hear any rubbing but I do hear a slight ticking in the differential (like a paint spray can being slowly rolled).  I jacked up the right rear and the same noise is heard. Is this noise normal? If not what could it be? This is my first time dealing with differential problems- any hints?  thank you

mark