<VV> 68 CORVAIR MONZA RUMBLE

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:42:01 -0400

Always check (4) u-joints first, as they're the easiest to inspect and to
repair. I feel your left rear wheel bearing is a candidate.
     It's unlikely, but the (one each) bolts that hold the yokes into your
differential may have loosened. You pretty much have to remove your inner
u-joints to inspect this, but if you do remove them, take a look at these.
     Otherwise, it would be IN the differential, most likely broken spider
gears (complete rebuild). Here's an easy test for that, that can NOT be done
on cars with Posi-Traction differentials:

Both rear wheels up in the air
Transmission in neutral
Turn one wheel by hand while observing other wheel
Other wheel turns opposite direction: spider gears are intact
Other wheel turns same direction: spider gears are toast

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of MARK PURTEE
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 9:29 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 68 CORVAIR MONZA RUMBLE

to all concerned:

I currently began working on my 68 corvair monza coupe - 95 hp and
automatic.  It ran fine until last night.  At low speeds I heard a rubbing
sound in the left rear wheel- at about 50 mph the noise becomes a rumble.
this noise is present in or out of gear and seems to get better when I apply
the brakes.  Tonight I jacked the left rear wheel up and put the
transmission in neutral.  I don't hear any rubbing but I do hear a slight
ticking in the differential (like a paint spray can being slowly rolled).  I
jacked up the right rear and the same noise is heard. Is this noise normal?
If not what could it be? This is my first time dealing with differential
problems- any hints?  thank you

mark