<VV> 68 CORVAIR MONZA RUMBLE

Joel McGregor joelsplace@earthling.net
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:47:10 -0500

Sounds more like wheel bearings to me.  The brakes will unload the bearings.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"
'63 900 Convertible 4spd
'67 Monza 4spd Posi
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of MARK PURTEE
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 8:29 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 68 CORVAIR MONZA RUMBLE

to all concerned:

I currently began working on my 68 corvair monza coupe - 95 hp and
automatic.  It ran fine until last night.  At low speeds I heard a rubbing
sound in the left rear wheel- at about 50 mph the noise becomes a rumble.
this noise is present in or out of gear and seems to get better when I apply
the brakes.  Tonight I jacked the left rear wheel up and put the
transmission in neutral.  I don't hear any rubbing but I do hear a slight
ticking in the differential (like a paint spray can being slowly rolled).  I
jacked up the right rear and the same noise is heard. Is this noise normal?
If not what could it be? This is my first time dealing with differential
problems- any hints?  thank you

mark