<VV> Distributer plate/screw question

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 08:58:50 -0400

These past few days were the kind where I should never have gotten out of
bed.  However yesterday I decided to tempt fate and adjust the dwell on my
Corvair.  It was a little low (25) and the first attempt seemed to go well,
I closed the gap a little, put the rotor and cap back on and now it was
reading lower.  So off comes the cap and rotor readjust it and as I'm about
to put the rotor on it slips out of my fingers and falls out of sight under
the engine in the skid plate.  I spent the next 45 minutes fishing it out.
After cleaning it off, I tried again and the gap was too much this time the
engine wouldn't start.  On my final attempt to get it right, the screw that
hold the points down would not tighten down.  Either the plate is striped or
the screw is. Which is the most likely culprit the screw or the plate?

I looked in Clark's to see if they sold a larger screw for this situation,
but they don't.  I can't say for sure if this is even the correct screw.
Unless you get a new one when you change points, this is probably the
original or a substitute someone put in when they lost the original.  Does
anyone know of a size screw that will work, if it's the plate?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD