<VV> A Corvair adventure

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio@megared.net.mx
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:27:30 -0500

Dear Friends,
    I got the Corvair disease by January 1st, 1968 when I got my first one (a
1962, 700, Sedan). By 1982 became a Corsa member for the first time, thinking
in attending a Corsa convention year by year. Some times I got the right car
but not the money, some others, got the money but not a decent car, or too
much job. My mostly planned was Flagstaff but, didn't have the car ready on
time.
    This year I haven't made any planning nor thinking on Lexington's as I was
thinking on a vacation to meet Spain but, 10 days before the convention, while
showing my 67 Cpe. and the last Communique to a friend of mine, he asked me "
How many Corvair conventions have you attended ? ", the answer was, NONE !!
    My slow brain (like an old 8088 processor) began to work... have a decent
car... have the money... have the time... then, why not ?
    Next day I started working on the car... changed 140 to 110 heads, 3.55 to
3.27 diff., putting new front wheel bearings, and checking mechanicals all
around to make it so reliable as possible for traveling to Lexington and
Vancouver area in Canada, to visit my daughter Claudia and grandchildren.
    On Saturday, June 12th at 6 AM left Guadalajara under a rain storm,
crossed the border by 6 PM where, the US customs officer prefered to inspect
carefully the engine instead of the trunk as he has never seen a Corvair
engine before (next time will fill up the trunk with Tequila and Cuban
cigars). Overnighted at Cotulla, TX. with only a minor electrical troubble on
engine bay.
    Sunday 13. Arrived to Austin, TX by 10 AM where I spent all day with
relatives and got some useful stuff (a tent included) for the rest of the
trip.
    Monday 14. Austin, TX to Hazen, Arkansas with a delay at Dallas by
entering the city accidentally. No troubbles except for several stops to check
for an unknown rummbling noise that I finally got, was caused for the road
roughness. Lots of thumbs up all the way.
    Tuesday 15, Hazen, AR to Lexington, KY where arrived by 6:30 PM to the
Hyatt's parking lot after 2,023 miles from home.

    I have seen many Corvair pictures in previous conventions thru the
Communique but never realized how impressive should be to see them on real
life. I was totally amazed to see so many Corvairs on the lot and the streets.
Went into the Hyatt to be registered at Corsa's desk where I ended more tired
and confused, than all day driving, due to my poor English understanding. Do
somebody has on sale a pair of good English trained ears ?

    End of first part