<VV> Unsolvable Clutch Problem in my FC

* Greenbrier Goon * greenbriergoon@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:34:38 +0000

Okay, here is the story.

Earlier this year I converted my Powerglide 1963 Greenbrier to a 4 speed.

I used all good parts: some new, some rebuilt, some very good used.  All
parts are correct 1963 parts to go along with the 1963 engine.  There are no
mismatched late model parts.

The problem is in disengaging the clutch.  This is what I can't solve.

I tried adjusting the cable. No success.

I removed the drivetrain and replaced the new T/O bearing with an NOS one.
The new one was shorter, even though it is what all of the vendors are
currently selling as a replacement for 1963 and older models.  The NOS one
is the correct 1 7/8 inch height.  I also checked to make that no oil had
gotten on the disc.  It was clean.

Still no sucess.

Someone recommended lengthening the clutch pedal to get more pull on the
cable.  I did this.  At first I thought it solved the problem.  It shifted
through the gears smoothly.  I went about 1/2 of a mile from my home, pulled
into a driveway, shifted into reverse and it grinded into the gear.  Tried
getting into first and it grinded again.

I don't know what else could be causing the problem.  Could a problem with
the pilot bushing cause this?  It's a new pilot bushing and an NOS input
shaft.

I am at my wits end.  I really need to get this thing working.  I am
planning on moving soon and this project is holding everything up.  If I
can't solve this thing soon I am going to have to scrap the whole thing.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)

Don't let Ralph Nader ruin another Presidential election.
http://www.ralphdontrun.net

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE