<VV> Unsolvable Clutch Problem in my FC

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 23:16:46 -0700

Hi Charles,

Well, if the cable is moving about 1 inch back at the clutch rod, then that
would rule out the cable itself.  If the pressure plate is in good condition
with no broken parts then that pretty much rules that out. It could very
well be the pilot bushing.  Have you tried another one yet?  There are
several schools of thought on lubing the pilot bushing too.  Some say to
soak in oil or force oil into it.  I use a small dab of white lithium grease
behind the pilot bushing and a very thin film to start out with on the end
of the input shaft.  Before I had done too many clutch jobs I used general
purpose grease and had problems with it gumming up and sticking.  It was
worse after it heated up and would do what you describe. You said the clutch
disc itself is clean so that rules that out. Its not likely to be an endplay
problem in the crankshaft because I had a crankshaft with over twice the max
endplay and the clutch worked fine.

I would guess at this point that it is either the pilot bushing or the cable
is just not moving enough back at the clutch rod.  The lengthening of the
clutch pedal should just about rule the cable but you could measure it since
it is easier than pulling the engine again to get at the pilot bushing.
Sure sounds like something heating up though like the problem I had with the
pilot bushing and lube.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw(made it fit), awaiting engine