<VV> Unsolvable Clutch Problem in my FC

larry@forman.net larry@forman.net
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 05:00:10 -1100 (SST)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:19:38 -0400, "Tom Suter" wrote:
> Until recently, the only true solution has been to be lucky enough
> to find a good used cable from a rust-free vehicle, but now The Source
> (other vendors?) is offering NEW cables.  I've been out of the FC
> "business" for a few years now, but this post and one a couple months ago
> are based on my personal experiences and measurements.  I was fortunate to
> find a great used non-Rust Belt cable, but would have gladly sprung for a
> new cable if that had been an option then.
> Tom Suter

Hi Tom,
Very interesting information and it all makes sense.  I also have been fortunate to get some rust free FC clutch cables and have done some
checking on other alternatives.  While I have not YET done this, I thought I would pass along some ideas I have been working on.  For the
Devin C, I am installing a hydraulic clutch master cylinder and a slave cylinder that pulls in.  These are readily available new from places
like Summit Racing.  This has been done successfully for some cars like the Devin C.  It involves drilling one hole on the front
transmission cross member and connecting the slave cylinder pull rod to the clutch pull rod.  This can be done easily by cutting the rod and
flattening it with a torch and hammer and drilling a hole in the flattened end.

The real problem, that I see is how to connect the master cylinder to the clutch pedal.  In checking, it looks like the master cylinder
could be mounted to a STURDY bracket with the cylinder backwards from the brake M/C.  So you mount the bracket under the floor and behind
the wall that the clutch cable goes through and connect a push rod to the lever that pulls the clutch cable forward, but it would push the
m/c actuator rod and should then work.  It will take some welding and fabrication to make and mount the m/c, but it would be worth the
effort.

The other issue that compounds the FC clutch cable is that the transmission mounts need to be in good condition otherwise they can
contribute to clutch chatter as the power train moves and the clutch engages.

-- Larry

Larry Forman