<VV> Re: car won't run

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:16:29 EDT

My first guess is that the carb idle emulsion tubes are plugged, and possibly
one or both jets.To check for the tubes, turn your fast idle screws all the
way in and mixture needles most of the way out to see if you can get to run for
a short time after starting. I have seen sludge so bad in old carbs that it
has completely covered the main jets and plugged the venturi cluster tubes
solid.
Grant
-pulled off gas lines at each carb and watched gas
spurt out as I turned it over
-removed the "stone" filters in the carbs for a check
if it would run without - it wouldn't
-compression test shows 90-110 psi per cylinder (my
gauge isn't the best, but it will show a very low
cylinder - that's another story)

I'm kind of stumped.  If I have compression, gas, and
spark, why won't it run?  The thing I keep coming back
to is it will start when I use the starting fluid, so
I'm still leaning towards fuel.

I need some ideas, I really wanted this car to go to
the DACC Homecoming and Woodward cruise.  Please copy
me private if you send to the list, I am trying to
catch up on VV's yet.