<VV> Oil Cooler cleaning tip

Derek Archer eggman@owt.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:57:51 -0700

I got this tip from a friend who only uses folded-fin oil coolers, but
this can apply to all coolers. First, remove the alternator or
generator (You'll see why in a minute). Remove the oil cooler cover and
brush and vacuum out the loose stuff. Now, get out your pressure
washer. No I'm not kidding. I happened to have a 1600 psi one for my
driveway. Set the spray for a somewhat narrow fan spray (a needle spray
can damage the folded fin coolers) and aim it straight through the oil
cooler and blast that junk out of there. That's the key, you have to be
forceful with that stuff. Another method is to use compressed air and
blast up from the bottom in the exhaust air duct.