<VV> Engine Ground Keeps Getting Dirty

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:31:16 -0400

In the message below, I MEANT apply Ox-Gard while the pieces are
DISassembled. Sorry!

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 7:01 PM
To: goofyroo@excite.com; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> Engine Ground Keeps Getting Dirty

Corrosion is what's dirtying up your connection. There are various goops to
apply to the pieces, individually and/or assembled. For example, your auto
supply sells a Permatex (brand) spray for battery terminals. If you spray
this on your assembled connection when it's nice and fresh, corrosion will
be retarded at least until the spray coating wears away (which it won't if
you renew it every year or so).
     For the individual pieces, your hardware store sells a grease called
Ox-Gard (equivalents are very likely to be at your auto-supply store, for
such things as putting in light-bulb sockets). You can apply this to all
contact surfaces while they are assembled, right after you've cleaned them
up. This stuff is designed to protect surfaces involved in electrical
contacts.
     Do I understand you keep your battery in the luggage compartment, in
front of the driver? If so, the cable back to your engine/starter will pose
voltage challenges in addition to the condition of your ground connection.
Why do you keep it there? Didn't like it back with the engine, the way the
car was designed?