<VV> Greenbrier engine problems - long post

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown@navy.mil
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:08:40 -0700

Given that you had a lot of smoke, the holed piston idea is likely the problem.  Another possibility is that the cam lobes were ground down from lack of oil, or that you lost some teeth on the cam gear.  Start by pulling the oil pan and see what you find.
Toby Brown

------Original Message------
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:02:04 -0500
From: "Kinzelman, Andy" <akinzelm@greatnortherncorp.com>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Subject: <VV> Greenbrier engine problems - long post

~snip~

We dragged it back down here.  I figured there may have been a problem with the valve train, so we drained the oil (only got out about one quart, at best) & adjusted the valves.  After putting in oil, we started running it.  It was still very unhappy, so we did a compression check.  The numbers are: 1 - 120. 2 - 115, 3 - 30, 4 - 0, 5 - 0, 6 - 0.  I put my finger over the #5 plug hole, & couldn't feel much air pumping out, either.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Last question; figuring the engine has to come out, is there any problem flat towing a Greenbrier with no engine in it?
Thanks,
Andy K.