<VV> Mag Caps (long, some Corvair)

Russell Heim chevyii@optonline.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:06:43 -0400

I like the Mag Caps.  I had a 14-inch set on a 1968 Chevy II I owned a few years ago.  The car came with dog-dish caps but I found a set of Mags for $40 and put them on the car.  I kept the Mag caps when I sold the car because the buyer thought they were ugly.  The Mag caps sat in the attic and garage for a few years.  I decided to sell them last winter because they're incorrect for my 1963 Chevy II SS, so I put them on ebay.  I started the bids at $60 because they were in decent shape but not show quality.  I clearly described their condition in the auction listing.  The final bid was $256!  One of my friends saw the auction on ebay and told me he couldn't believe anyone would bid so much for "such ugly hubcaps."

I think hubcap beauty, like all other beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  For example, I hate the 1963 SS hubcaps and use 1963 Impala hubcaps on the above mentioned 1963 Chevy II.  The Impala caps were optional on all Chevy IIs with 14-inch wheels and I love the way they look.  Before I went to the Impala caps I tried a set of the 1962-3 wire caps on the car and didn't like the way they looked on it.  I think those caps look better on dark cars, mine is ermine white over azure aqua.  I sold these 14-inch wire caps for a lot less than the "ugly" mag caps.

My 1964 Monza convertible has the Monza caps and I love them.  I think the 1964 wire caps are nice, but I'm going to stick with the Monza caps because I think they look great.

As far as supply and demand goes, you'd think the 14-inch wire and mag caps would have more demand because they fit more cars.  The 13-inch caps have rarity going for them when it comes to pricing.