<VV> RE: Greenbrier engine problems

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:40:02 -0700

At 08:29 hours 08/11/2004 -0500, Kinzelman, Andy wrote:
>Guys,
>We pulled the engine last night.  #5 & #6 rods were thrown; it looks as if
the rod bearings lost oil flow.
>This engine had not been run in a long while.  Do you think it is possible
some sludge in one of the galleries broke loose & plugged up something?
Or, is it more likely that the oil level (being way low) starved those
bearings?

I'd suspect a clogged passage rather than low oil level.   If the oil got
low enough to starve the bearings it would likely have caused some damage
to the other bearings as well, and the lifters would have gone crazy, loud
enough to have alerted anyone but the most cretin-minded.   Having two rod
bearings fail at the same time suggests that something starved those two
bearings and not the entire engine as would have happened if the oil got so
low that the engine lost oil pressure.     Of course anything is possible
but I'd suspect a clog as the culprit.

tony..