<VV> Clutch release bearing shaft seal...

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:46:07 -0400

Replace this EVERY time. You do NOT need to take the diff apart. The seal is
retained by a split ring which you just yank out of the bore. Then yank the
seal out. If you don't have a seal puller, use a cotter-pin puller (for
both).
     Lightly grease the bore and pound the new seal in with a 3/4" socket,
or other suitable cylindrical driver. Don't forget to put the split ring
back in. As with all seals, grease the lips of the seal. Grease the portion
of the input shaft the lips bear on. Get the idea? Greasy.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of cash case
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 9:42 AM
To: VirtualVairs
Cc: Cash Case
Subject: <VV> Clutch release bearing shaft seal...

While I have this drive train out of the car and separated, should I
replace the Clutch release bearing shaft seal? and If so, do I need to
take the dif apart to get to it? And is this something I should try to
accomplish? I don't have any 'special' tools. Are they required?

cash face.jpg]
Cash Case