<VV> Zero Compression update 3 and engine break in period question

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:01:22 -0700

Seems like overkill to me.  I'd use synthetic oil and drive a variety of
rpms.  I would not over-rev it a lot, but I would engage the turbo
some.  I'd change the oil the first 500 miles and then at 2000 miles and
then every 2000 after that.  After 1000 miles it should be broken in and
anything goes for the turbo.  When I drive my Spyder I try to engage the
turbo every time to keep it oiled, etc, or perhaps just because it is fun!

At 03:25 PM 8/11/2004, Sam & Marissa Andolino wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I got another 180 head rebuilt.  The engine is completely rebuilt.  It has
>new everything - pistons, moly rings, rods, cam, crank ,valves, lifters,
>etc.  The question now is what is the proper way to brake in the engine?
>
>The plan is to use non detergent 30w oil, changing the oil every 500 miles.
>The suggestions that I have received is for the first 2000 to 2500 miles -
>drive the car both city and highway, but try not to engage the turbo.  Is
>this a proper course of action?
>
>This is our first engine rebuild [and hopefully our last for now :-) ] and
>any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
>Sam & Marissa Andolino
>mandolin@rochester.rr.com
>1963 Red Monza Convertible
>1966 Blue Corsa Turbo Coupe

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html