<VV> Re: a good vair day

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:46:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 4:47:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
leehigginbotham@sbcglobal.net writes:

You  can't remove the cylinder without breaking it if you don't have the key.
The  lock is made of very soft pot metal, and the way the cylinder is
constructed  with a sidebar, it is not pick friendly. If you do locate the key, put
the  switch in the ACC position, get a large paper clip or a stiff piece of
wire,  and push into the small hole that is next to the keyway. You should be
able to  pull out the cylinder with the key. Then just unscrew the retainer nut
on the  front of the ignition. Well, that is how it works with my '65 anyway.
I  have rambled I know.
I am happy to have found this list and I enjoy reading  it daily.
Cheers,
Lee
1965 Monza 110  convertible

Actually, Lee, that is one difference between the 65 and the 66 ignition
switches. On the 65, you can just unscrew the bezel/nut and push the switch
assembly (complete with key tumbler in place) through and out the bottom. That  is
a fast way to hot start a 65 Corvair, just bring your own switch assembly!
Push it out the bottom and use your own assembly! In 1966, they changed  the
key tumbler so that the bezel/nut will not clear it as you unscrew it.  Indeed,
as you describe, you have to remove the key tumbler to remove the switch
assembly from the dash. - Seth Emerson