<VV> T/O Brg in hand - more advice needed

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:06:45 -0400

65 Monza 140 4spd Vert

I just asked about the half shafts.  Seems consensus is lots of duct tape,
up, and out of the way.

Got her disassembled tonight.  Symptoms were... chattered sometimes when
pushing clutch in...either getting into 1st to move, but happened at about
50% of the red lights, when pushing in the clutch to downgear.  2nd
symptom... real wet under the car.  I replaced the oil pan gasket last
weekend, and still leaked, coming from the bell housing - obvious input
shaft seal - hoping it's not the snout.

Upon removal of the diff from the bell housing, the seal lock ring was
rolling around the input shaft.  I'm thinking this was the real noise,
occasionally getting in the snout, and wobbling around.

Pilot bushing is toast.

Seems like the split lock ring goes in, in a certain direction, to make it
lock better.  True?  No discernible differences on mine, that I can tell.
Too boogered up?  I *may* have another, hidden in a Clark's bag somewhere.

Okay to pry it a little wider, so it's snug in the snout?  goes all the way
in now, with no resistance.  Looks like I need a new one, but economy run on
Saturday, so in a hurry.

The seal, seems to be pretty tight, but I've got another one.  No sense in
scrimping that much.

No discernable wear on the input shaft.

Oh, grease ALL in the bell housing.  Wiping the clutch disk, I get grease,
and I can see a buildup on the outer edge where it was getting slung off.
Can I wipe it clean, or need a degreaser, brake cleaner, etc?  No time to
order new.  I'll check the wear on it with calipers.

Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.