<VV> Squish area article in Pop Sci mag -Long -little Corvair

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:37:06 -0600 (MDT)

Two reasons why you usually do not want such grooves in the chamber.  One
for the reason you mentioned, hot spots that could lead to detonation.
Two, In areas like this it can cause a skin effect where unburned fuel can
remain after combustion, and then go out as exhaust leading to increaded
emissions.  This is also a problem in using a high quench setup, as the
cooling that is the desired result also leads to some waste of fuel, and
increased emissions.  The reson usually seen with pinging in vair motors
is increased combustion chamber temperature over water cooled motors,
and often not as good fuel mixture from the built in intake manifolds.  If
you are looking to mill the step out of a set of
regular heads, use 95's or 80's instead of 110's, or 102's respectively.
This will provide usually a better Compression Ratio after the step being
removed with minimal need for correction.  This is how we have built
several motors we are happy with.

-Geoff Johnson
63 Monza CP ULTRA 110 Engine
66 Corsa CP w/Milled 140