<VV> Solid flywheel? Sweeet

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:34:36 -0400

You are not supposed to use the retaining ring with a solid flywheel. I
didn't, and had no bolt-related problems. Because flywheel bolts go through
the hub and into the crankcase, the Shop Manual instructions say you are to
put gasket sealer on the threads (makes 'em hard to turn when the sealer is
dry). If you don't do that, you'll get an oil leak there. This last bit
obviously is the same for both solid and bolted flywheels.
     If you were happy with the flywheel before, and index-marked it before
removing it, put it back on the way it came off and drive on. If it's
smooth, you're lucky, and I see no reason why it wouldn't stay that way
indefinitely.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of
BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 11:30 PM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: <VV> Solid flywheel? Sweeet

Ahhhh, even more findings...

FINALLY got the pilot bushing out, with the bread method.  Wet bread doesn't
work, btw, or it was a really worn out bushing.  The dry bread filled up the
wear between the shaft and the ID of the bushing.

I took the flywheel off to get behind it for cleaning, and low and behold,
it's solid steel.  So THAT's why it was ringing when I hit it with a wrench.
Sweeeet.  Might have to keep that baby for the Corsa, but I digress.  The
flywheel bolts where awfully tough to turn, even after I broke them loose.
PO had locktited (that a word?) them.  I said,"why in the world?"... When
all of a sudden I realized ... No retaining ring under the bolts.  I bet
they were bottoming out on him!  By the time I got them out, and got all the
parts cleaned, I see significant gouging of the steel flywheel, enough to
catch your finger on, almost enough to cut you.  This does NOT surprise me,
due to having to put a pull bar on the oil drain plug.  This guy torqued
EVERYTHING, way past it's limits, it looks like.  So, this starts me being
very suspicious of EVERYTHING on this car...when I noticed... a washer under
each bottom bell housing bolts.  <VBFrown>  What will I find next?

Opinions wanted... Okay to use the flywheel?

Put a washer under the flywheel bolts?  But at this point, I think I'd still
be using locktite.  Not familiar with this solid flywheel.

Pulling the washers under the bottom bell housing bolts.  No opinions there,
it's the right thing to do.

> Barry Ellison
> Corsa SC
> 65 Corsa Coupe 140 4spd
> 65 Monza Vert 140 4spd
> 61 Lakewood
> ALL corvairs on jackstands tonight.  Geez

While I'm at it... Anybody got any 13x7s for sell ??