<VV> Question re: rear wheel bearings and a project update

Macdonald David dmacd_us@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT)

I took 10 days off so I two weekends of Corvair
project work to visiting family and friends and
drinking beer. Not a bad trade.

However, things at work went crazy while I was gone
and I came back to find that the CEO wanted to fire
me. My opinion was, of course, different and I have
had to spend some extra time convincing him that I'm a
great guy. Not so easy given the material I have to
work with.

So far I have:
-Rebuilt the steering box.
-Replaced the gas tank and sender. ( I gave up on the
old one)
-Rebuilt two Carbs, two more to go.
-Removed the front brakes all the way down to the
backing plates. Sandblasted and painted the backing
plates and will be putting the brakes back together
this weekend using all new rubber hoses, wheel
cylinders and linings.
-Removed and cleaned the front bearings. They appear
to be in great shape with no visible wear at all. So
I'll repack them with grease and they will go back in
with new seals.
-I'll be replacing the Master cylinder and converting
it to a dual.
-I've sandblasted and painted the front sway bar and
parts I got from Corvair Ranch and that's ready to
bolt in.

I'm hoping to have all the mechanical work done in the
front of the car by this weekend.

I'll then be turning my attention to the rear. So it
will come down from Group Red only long enough to be
pushed back in the garage nose first. If things go
well, Im hoping to get the axles and struts out and
get them sandblasted and painted as well.

I read the instruction in the Corsa Tech Guide that
describe installing a grease fitting in the rear
bearing unit. I cant bring myself to do this as
described because I think thats its inevitable that
shard of metal from the drilling will end up on the
inside and will make its way into the bearing. Anyone
have any experience doing this?

David
Being brought back to life after 30+ years of storage.

P.S.
I still have not given up the possibility of attending
the Clarks show, but it seems unlikely.

I found ordered paint for the dash and should have in
a week. It's PPG Duracryl Lacquer. I'll have a pint,
which is likely enough for 10 dashboards but it's the
smallest quantity you can order.