<VV> BELT TENSION KITS

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:56:13 -0400

I've been using one of the screen door-type tensioners for years and am
very happy with it. I've used two types. The one currently in use is
the Clark's unit with the brass wire-form part that the spring fastens
to. The new one that Lon Wall sells looks really nice.

Someone wrote that a properly tensioned belt will last for a long time.
My experience was: I'd install a belt and tension it; then after a few
miles it'd stretch and I'd tension it again; at this point it should
last for quite sometime; but then I'd rev it to 6,xxx rpm and guess
what... so I'd install a new belt; then after a few miles it'd stretch
and I'd tension it again, etc.

The tensioner allows easier installation and it automatically adjusts
for stretch, wear, and changes in rpm's. I understand that if you never
rev the engine you probably don't need a tensioner, but for my
purposes, it works. I also use a good Otto belt, I know a lot of guys
use those "cogged" belts but they look like crap to me (your opinion
may vary).

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina