<VV> Eastern Rust, NO CORVAIR

Harry Yarnell Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:39:13 -0400

Funny you should ask. Just went to Norman's the other day looking for some
parts for my '78 Eldo, and you know what? All the 'old' stuff is gone!
As for the NE rust belt issue, I dare say that the 'better' steel goes back
into the early '80s.
Anyone in the automotive metalurgy field care to comment?

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD
hyarnell1@earthlink.net

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: NicolCS@aol.com
  To: carmerjr@mindspring.com ; hyarnell1@earthlink.net ;
virtualvairs@corvair.org ; kaczmarek@charter.net
  Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 10:03 AM
  Subject: Re: <VV> Eastern Rust, NO CORVAIR

  Thanks for all the input, guys.  I was only thinking about corrosion, I
hadn't thought about the winter beater use or all the "stinkin" potholes
that litter NE roadways.  I don't think I will consider sourcing my "new"
AWD Astro from the rustbelt area.  THANKS for the great info.

  So, when you guys go into a boneyard, are 1994 models rusted out?  How
about 1984 models?  (for comparison, here in the Northwest, '74 and '64
models in the boneyard show little or no rust except for the oddball
mudtrap.)  This applies to the rare Corvairs I find in the junkyards and
backyards too.  The undersides of my three Corvairs are typical, they still
show the factory paint and all hardware is in fine shape.  What are you
seeing with more modern cars in the NE junkyards, as far as corrosion goes?
  Craig (likes clean undercarraiges) Nicol