<VV> Eastern Rust, NO CORVAIR

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:07:26 -0400

Having been in the automotive sheet steel stamping business for the last
30 years, I can say that during that time the auto industry has changed
over from mostly bare metal to mostly coated metal sheet stock. The
coatings are zinc based, like zincrometal, galvanized, etc. This is why
automotive sheet metal is lasting longer in the severe roadsalt areas.

Around here (which is NOT the most salted region by any means) we have
salt laid down like they were trying to literally pave the road with it.
The salt paving crews (as I call them) hit the roads at the first
snowflake fall, and never stop. It's not unusual for even
recently-repaved BLACKtop roads to be totally white, looking like new
concrete, and the yellow paintstripe road markings to be totally
obscured. Just imagine what the worst areas look like! You
salt-free-area guys have no idea....

Yet despite all this salt, newer cars are holding up remarkably well. I
feel that all the coated metal now used is well worth it, and is paying
off.

-Mark