<VV> hard to believe this fixed it!

Jim Thomas b74eqcm@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:59:00 -0400

Well, file this under "I didn't believe it until it happened to me".

I've been having problems with my 65 Monza Vert (110/pg) missing and cutting
out under load when hot. To track down the problem, this is what I did:
- checked vacuum advance
- checked distributor cap and rotor (both almost new)
- checked fuel pump (mechanical), changed fuel filter, checked rubber hoses.
- checked all vacuum hoses
- replaced Ignitor with points. returned to Ignitor when there was no change
- checked spark plug wires (nearly new from Seth)
- checked voltage to coil (OK)
- replaced coil

Still no change.

On a whim, I stopped by NAPA and picked up some W8AC spark plugs. I knew the
ones in there couldn't be bad. I have been running Bosch W8AP platinum plugs
in this engine since I bought the car in 1995. Never had a problem with them
before. But, remembering that some on VV did, I thought I would change them
out. They looked fine, good color, correct gap. Put in the W8AC
(non-platinum) plugs, problem solved.

Ran the crap out of it tonight, 75 miles, many over 70 mph, runs great.

I have no idea why they were cutting out under load, especially with a new
coil, Ignitor, and Seth's wires.

So, I always chuckled before when people complained about the Bosch Platinum
plugs. I'm not laughing now.

Jim Thomas

03 Monte Carlo SS Pacecar (#114)
95 K1500