<VV> Seats

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:41:01 -0400

Whatever you say, Mr. Keper (I figure if you can drop an "l" from my name, I
can do the same to yours).  Buckle yourself into that three point harness
and feel safer knowing that the Bozo next to you talking on his cell phone
can't possibly penetrate your side-impact air bags.

As for me, I will enjoy my old cars as they were made, and I will drive my
new cars just as defensively as I do the older ones.  Human beings weren't
made to go 60mph, and we certainly don't fare very well when we go 60 to
zero in half a second, and no amount of air bags, dual master cylinders,
three point restraints, etc. is going to change that.  Yes, you can always
add things that improve the survivability of a crash, but you can never
guarantee it, and the idiot drivers out there never seem to realize the
latter point, so there will always be fatal accidents as long as there are
idiot drivers.

People following too close for conditions/Driving while
(Intoxicated/Sleepy/Talking on Phone/Eating/Etc), Driving too fast for
conditions/Speeding/Hot Rodding/Etc.

Fact is, there are more drivers on the road now, which also means more
stupid drivers.  Also, Driver's training is less intense then it used to be.
Your chances of being in an accident are much higher today than they were 40
years ago.

You take a risk every time you get into a car - old or new.  Ralph would
have you believe that is unacceptable, and if anything happens to you it
must be someone else's fault.  I think otherwise.

Enjoy your 'safety net'.

Bill Hubbell