<VV> Re: Seats/Safety

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:02:44 -0400

 From: "John Kepler" <bigjohnohio@worldnet.att.net>
--------------big snip------------
> remember sir, that my 2100 lb., 110 hp 1966 Corvair Monza has the same
> miserable drum-brakes that were installed in a 3500 lb. 320 hp
Chevelle......those
> miserable part-time brakes are a PITA in a 'Vair....they convert a
Chevelle
> into a ballistic projectile!
Smitty says:  John almost anyone on the list will tell you that the last
thing I would do is defend a Late model Corvair.  I will not comment on
the validity , or lack thereof, of your other statements but the one
above indicates to me that you are not a "cars person" and have not read
the road tests and specs on cars over the years.  Late model brakes are
supurb.  It is only in recent years that brakes on the average street car
have exceeded their capabilities.  If your brakes don't measure up I
would suggest that you do some maintenance on them, in keeping with your
stated concern for safety.