<VV> eBay Auction, Shipping to Canada

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:03:07 -0400

>The last thing I bought on E-Bay I left a neutral feedback and the
>seller retaliated and left a negative feedback on me. After that
>experience I am tempted to not leave any feedback unless the service is
>either extremely outstanding or so horrible to border on fraud.

 As a heavy Ebay user, I always leave positive feedback if the transaction was acceptable (meaning
that the seller upheld the end of his bargin, even if I was not perfectly happy with the deal). Buying
site unseen, the BEST you can hope for is a reasonably decent effort on the seller's part... how many
times have we been burnt when buying stuff IN PERSON?

I ONLY leave negative feedback when I have written proof of the person's failure to comply, etc. If
the situation is up to ANY doubt, I don't leave any feedback. I never leave neutral feedback... either
the deal was acceptable or unacceptable (with proof). Anything else gets no feedback at all.

When I sell, I try to always list a shipment price... or the weight and size for people to figure it out for
themselves. I have left one negative feedback for someone bidding on my auction and then refusing
to pay because of the (listed) shipping... but first I got him to admit in an Ebay that he realized what
the shipping was going to be but only after the auction decided he didn't want the stuff.

Also, I always clearly warn someone (usually more than once) when I'm close to giving negative
feedback... and give them an easy out. In the above case, I offered NOT to give the guy negative
feedback if he'd just pay my listing and relisitng fees. He refused (in writing). So he got negative
feedback. And I have firm proof that he was in the wrong.

In additional, while you can't always keep from getting negative feedback in retaliation, in my last
warning, I lay out the evidence I have against them and promise that if they give me retalitory
feedback, I will report them to Ebay for fraud.

So far, I have not received any negative feedback.

What burns me, though.... are the sellers who won't give you feedback until you've given them
feedback. I think the system ought to be set up so that they HAVE to give feedback before they can
receive feedback on a given item... the buyer's role in the transaction is to pay for the item... if that's
done, positive feedback should be automatic.

Corvair content: of all of the 600-700 Ebay deals I've done, I've been burnt by someone in nearly
every car marque "group", but never by a person selling Corvair bits...

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD