<VV> vendor , shipping to Canada

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:21:32 -0700

According to Ebay that's a good point. And when it is done and a fair
price is being charged for the shipping, then it is a violation of the
contract. Unfortunatly I've also seen many cases where sellers will
charge excessivly for shipping to compensate for the price they actually
receive for the item. Additionally it seems amazing to me how many
people bid on $1-5 dollar items then pay shipping on each one. Seems
like an expensive way to do it.

We've experimented with internet auctions (IA) and will continue to keep
one foot in - but the truth is, for sellers with any kind of overhead
(or individuals hoping to make money at it) it's a pretty time consuming
way to make sales and an inefficient way to buy - But UNFORTUNATLY........

Have IA's  cost Corvair vendors sales? Without a doubt. If there are
daily 20 pages of Corvair parts that represents signifigant competition.
But I just said that it's a poor way for most sellers to make profit and
an inefficient way for Corvair owners to buy many items. It doesn't
matter -

Many who go into IA's as for-profit sellers, but end up realizing that
it doesnt pay off, don't help themselves. You'd think that would be good
for the vendors - nope, because if 100 private/semi-professional IA
sellers call it quits, there are 100 more lined up behind them to learn
thier own hard lessons. (Obviously an exaggeration, but you see my
point). While this is all going on energies and sales are diverted away
from the vendors. How long can people with overheads hold out?

Of course if you just bought a set of TRW pistons for below the market
value on an IA then you'll think I'm a wanker who just has to face up to
modern realities - even if that means a new future without Corvair parts
vendors. I realize that nothing that I or anyone else says here will
change anyone's minds. Business is business - but consider these facts -

1) How many internet auction sellers reproduce parts?
2) How many IA sellers actually have a meaningful (if any) inventory?
3) Since most of these IA sellers do it as a hobby (and not much profit
is being made at the end of the day) how long will they continue to
"play" before they move on to something more profitable?
4) How many IA sellers have all the parts you need on demand (when you
need them)?
5) What recourse (realistically) do you have when dealing with the
multitudes of  IA sellers should you have problems?

Is the future of Corvair parts an International convention where the
indoor and outdoor vendor rooms have been combined as a room with a bank
of computers all set to Internet Auctions?     Lon

www.corvairunderground.com