<VV> RE:HELP (Saving a 4dr)

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:23:01 -0500

  snip<Spending exactly the same money on a 2dr will return lots more
of you investment than a 4dr would.
Craig Nicol>snip

Mark said it best,

"From: airvair <airvair@richnet.net>
Subject: Supply, was: 4doors, was: <VV> 1961 Corvair

(In this thread, I'm considering only LATE models, as that is what I'm
most familiar with.)

Looking at the production ratio, there were roughly 9 coupes to 3 4doors
to 2 convertibles made (per model line). Coupes are abundant simply
because they made so many of them, and everyone saves convertibles (why
I don't know - they're the most useless of all the body styles - IMHO).
But for some perverted reason, people have a low opinion of 4doors. They
were used up as beaters and donor cars, often to "save" a coupe. Now
THAT's perverse!!

Coupes are in oversupply, which ought to drive down the price. The
4doors are hard to get, and us that want one often have to search for
them. And often, I've seen that once someone has tried a 4door, they
don't want a coupe anymore. It's that much better. Just ask someone that
has one. If reality had anything to do with it, the 4door would be the
premium value.

Ways the 4door is better than a coupe:

- far better looking. There is NO wrong angle, while a coupe looks
"slightly pregnant" from the 3/4 angle. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

- easier rear seat access. This helps whether loading passengers, or
packages (onto a folded-down seat).

- easier entrance/exit because of more doors AND shorter doors. Just try
it in a crowded parking lot.

- better rear seat comfort. No knees-under-your-chin and
head-against-the-backlite like a coupe suffers from.

I could go on, but coupe lovers don't have a leg to stand on. (G)

-Mark (I part out coupes to save 4doors!)"

Anyone who buys a restored or project Corvair for the investment value
is a little loco.  Our Corvairs are hands down the most unique
production car American automobile manufacturers have ever introduced.
Buy it, drive it, and enjoy it because it is economical, a blast to
drive, turns heads, and absolutely confuses just about everyone when
you get gas and check the oil at the gas station.  (G)

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110, Sierra Tan - Saddle, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, w/ 77K
(soon to be out of group red for the first time in twelve years)

Corvairium II