<VV> Re: Seats (now safety) (now humor)

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:50:08 EDT

Right on, Rodney,

Hydraulic brakes ........ we don't need no stinkin' hydraulic brakes.
Mechanical brakes from the good old days will stop the car eventually and were a lot
cheaper.  Rear view mirrors .... and side view mirrors especially??  Who
needs to see behind us?  That's the past.  The guy behind me can see me and just
watch out when I change lanes.  Gee, I hope he has those namby pamby hydraulic
brakes.  Plate glass for the windshield keeps the wind out of your face just
as the safety glass does and is a lot cheaper.  If we all just drive
defensively, our respective faces won't get mangled even though we don't have seat
belts.  With defensive driving, there won't be any accidents and with the
mechanical brakes, you can't decelerate fast enough for anyone to do a face plant on
the windshield from the inside.  Don't get me started on those sissy air filled
tires.  Solid rubber tires were good enough for my Grandpa and they are good
enough for me.  When the tread wore out, you could just break out the wood
burning iron and make new ones.  Ah, the aroma.  On second thought, who needs
tread at all when you can just drive defensively?  Taking into consideration the
value of the dollar today vs. the 60s (or whenever) modern cars don't really
cost more than pretty much any time in the past.  However, you are correct that
cars would cost a lot less without the safety equipment.  We just need to
decide to stop having accidents.  We could save on insurance too because it
wouldn't be as necessary.  Of course, the insurance companies would all go out of
business especially if people decide to stop stealing cars, getting sick, having
earthquakes and all those bad things.  The body shops would have to make a
living doing custom paint jobs and restoring classic Vairs, etc.

Hydraulic brakes, shocks, safety glass, air filled tires, etc. at one time
were all considered to be frivolous options by some but are now accepted.
Imagine a car salesman mentioning air filled tires or hydraulic brakes as a selling
feature today.  Seat belts and airbags are now non-controversial standards
and ABS and other devices soon will be.  I don't like that some of these things
had to be mandated by the government (many weren't) but I firmly believe that
most, if not all, would have become standards with or without government
intervention.  Even with costs factored in, the benefits of most of the safety
devices now in use are so evident that a car manufacturer who didn't include them
on its vehicles would not be in business for long.

Kidding aside, I agree that things would be a lot better if people learned to
drive better and exercised some common sense.  However, too many don't and I
also believe that even good drivers can get into unexpected situations that
can get out of control.  I for one, am happy for all those namby pamby devices
on my cars.

Doc