<VV> Damaged Crank Keyway, Not Corvair

Anil Mittal anil@anil.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:18:00 -0500

Hello All,

  This is not a Corvair related question but a question posed to me
by a coworker on a very tight budget. He has a 91 Miata with 187,000
miles on it. It looks like the keyway on the end of the crank has
become damaged:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/matthewmwalk/album?.dir=4525&.src=ph

  He is on a very very tight budget and I am trying to help him as
much as I can. What would  be an acceptable fix for this to get him
through the next few months? Can Loctite or JB weld be used on
something like this? I am assuming that the keyway is not taking much
tortional force and that if the timing belt gear and crank pully are
torqued down properly that they should be held on by the crank pully
bolt. Is the key just used for alignment and not to bear any force?

Anil