<VV> choosing rear end ratio

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:25:29 -0500

I'll try to explain... please on of the experts jump in to correct me if I have this wrong.

In a '66+ Corvair, the diff is the weakest point in the driveline.  (In the earlier cars it's the trans itself)  When 'somethings gotta give', this is usually it. The
spyders are the little gears that transmit the torque within the diff... the ring and pinion translate the power from one plane to another while the spyders allow
one wheel to turn faster than the other.

These are very small, lightweight gears which do not handle shock loads well. The 4 spyder modification doubles the number of gears. It is a common mod
for V8 cars, but is also not a bad idea for any diff while you have it apart.

What I _don't_ know, though... is what becomes the next weakest link in the driveline. And I hope I don't find that out....

Bill