<VV> Re: Creeper, Lift

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corp. vairtec@optonline.net
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:50:36 -0500

Harry Yarnell wrote:

>I have never found a creeper that was worth a s#!+. [That's 25 points,
>Harry.]  Either it hung up on the droplight cord, a tool,  an errant screw
>or speck of dirt, or it would tip over. That's why I bought a lift.

Lifts are not without their perils.  While my '66 500 was being re-done
last winter, a '68 Corvette in the shop at the same time fell off the
lift!  (See photo of Corvair and lift at
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/njace/cleanup_reassembly.html ) As you can
see it is the perfect Corvair lift, two posts, four adjustable arms.  With
the Corvette, apparently the car and the four lift pads did not match, and
briefly the car was not in contact with one of the rearmost pads.  The
loose pad's arm swung out from under the car, and when the mechanic stopped
working on the front of the car, the car tried to settle back onto the pad
that was no longer in place!  Crash!

The damage to the Corvette was immense, radiating all the way through to
the front of the car.  Happily, no one was under the car when it fell, or
I'd be telling you about the mechanic's funeral...

Hank Kaczmarek wrote:

... held my 300 plus behind...

Now THAT"S a design test!  [grin!]  Of course, Clark Hartzell ain't a small
fellah, either...

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec@optonline.net
---