<VV> torque

Mike Ioanes mioanes@woh.rr.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:29:20 -0500

Beth asks:
Subject: <VV> torque

> How many times can you torque lug nuts on and off before they are too
> "stretched out"? I ask this because people say you shouldn't reuse rod
> bolts.
> Beth Inman
> DACC
I would say indefinitely, or until they're visibly damaged.  I sell a fair
amount of studs for heavy trucks and the ONLY reason they get replaced is
because of damage-stripped threads or cut off with the "smoke wrench".  They
are torqued to much higher specs-like maybe 400 ft/lb.  They can get a
little loose and not cause nearly as much damage as loose rod bolts.
Mike Ioanes