<VV> Flooding Problem in 140 Engines

Gerald Hauber bears_corvairs@msn.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:32:05 -0600

I have a 1965 140 engine and am having a lot of trouble with flooding. I had
the carburetors reworked by a local mechanic, but he couldn't solve the
problem. Subsequently  I replaced the two primary carbs with rebuilt units
from Clark's. This helped some, but didn't really solve the problem. As a last
resort I installed a pressure regulator on the fuel line. This seemed to help
the most, but I'm not really sure that was the best solution.

I know that the Corvair turbo charged engines had an overflow on the fuel pump
that went back to the gas tank. I assume this was to relieve the fuel pump
pressure when it got too high. This car formerly had a turbo in it and the
overflow line was disconnected at the gas tank. Does anyone know if the 140's
were also supposed to have this fuel pump overflow? If so this is probably my
problem and the fuel pressure regulator was only a stop gap measure that will
eventually cause the fuel pump to fail.

I'd appreciate some information on whether the fuel line overflow was used on
the 140's and any other thoughts anyone has the the 140 flooding problem.

For what its worth  I'd also like to add my two cents to the creeper
discussion. I agree that the cardboard idea is the best solution, but I've
taken that one step further. Go to your nearest discount store and purchase a
inexpensive camping mat that is normally used to sleep on outdoors. They even
have some that are fairly resistant to oil etc. Just place that on top of your
cardboard and you'll save a lot of bodily aches and pains.

Gerry Hauber
Blue Grass, IA